The sixth Nha Trang-Khanh Hoa Sea Festival 2013 will include a range of activities towards Truong Sa island district in particular, and homeland’s sea and islands in general.
High blood pressure can lead to a number of cardiovascular diseases, strokes and can even cause death.
According to Dr. Bui Khac Hau, to help avoid it, you should eat more fish than meat, and plenty of fruit and vegetables including peas and sweet potato.
In addition, drink water that has been used to boil vegetables, pennywort and corn as well as carrot juice. Limit the amount of fish sauce you use and don’t eat processed foods. Try to cut down on hot dogs, sausages, fast food, pickles, smoked meat, beef, dog, goat, goose, duck and chicken, animal fat and egg yolk. Do exercise and eat well to maintain a healthy and balanced life.
Meanwhile, you should also limit your salt intake. A group of scientists from Alabama University in the United States surveyed a group of patients using drugs to lower their blood pressure. They found that the medicine had no effect on those that consumed large amounts of salt. Patients over the age of 50 with high blood pressure should not consume more than 1,500 mg/day salt. It is recommended for adults to eat no more than 2,300 mg (about one teaspoon) salt a day.
To follow are some remedies suggested by herbalists Nguyen Cong Duc and Quoc Trung to help those with high blood pressure:
- Củ dền (beetroot) juice lowers blood pressure and helps prevent cardiovascular problems. Drinking 0.57 liters of beetroot juice can lower blood pressure within 24 hours. Beetroot is rich in nitrates, antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, sodium, potassium, Vitamin C, and betaine - important for cardiovascular health.
- Rau cần (water dropwort): Wash and cut fresh water dropwort and boil with water. Drink the beverage several times a day until your blood pressure lowers.
- Peanuts soaked in vinegar: Soak 200g unpeeled peanuts in vinegar. Cover with a lid for one week. Each night, for two weeks, eat five peanuts before going to sleep.
- Jackfruit leaves and bark: Take 20g jackfruit leaves and bark each and decoct in two bowls of water for 20 minutes. Drink 50 ml twice a day.
- Hẹ (chives): Wash and crush 20g chives and put them in a bowl. Pour 150ml warm water in the bowl. Sieve the mixture and drink the chive water twice a day after meals for three consecutive days.
- Rau muống (water spinach), cần tây (celery): Wash and finely cut 200g water morning glory and 50g celery. Put them in a small bag and squeeze. Drink the concoction once a day for five consecutive days.
- Nấm mèo đen (jelly ear fungus) and jujube porridge: Soak 50g jelly ear fungus in water for 15 minutes. Remove and cut into small pieces. Soak ten jujubes in hot water for ten minutes and wash. Throw away the seeds and slice into small pieces. Then, sprinkle with sugar and soak for 20 minutes. You will be left with sugar water. Cook the jelly ear fungus and rice until it looks like porridge and add the jujubes and the sugar water to cook for ten more minutes. Serve the porridge in the morning and evening.
- Water dropwort porridge: Wash and slice 50g rau cần (water dropwort with the root) into small pieces. Put 60g gạo tẻ (rice) into a pot with water and cook with the water dropwort until it looks like porridge. Serve hot in the morning and evening for seven days.
- Garlic and green peas: Peel 50g garlic and place in a bowl along with 100g green peas, 20g sugar and half a liter of water. Place the bowl in a pot with water and cover with a lid. Cook with a high flame until the peas are done. Eat the contents of the bowl over a period of ten days.
- Lotus leaf and sơn tra (fructus crataegi): Grind 20g lotus leaves and 80g sơn tra in a container until they become a powder. Every day, put 30g of the mixture in a thermos and pour in one liter of water. Drink the mixture throughout the day. The concoction helps reduce fat and treat high blood pressure.
- Garlic alcohol or vinegar: Peel 250g garlic and soak in 650ml white rice alcohol (40 percent) or vinegar, which has 5 percent acid acetic. Leave for ten days. Drink 3ml twice a day before breakfast and before you go to bed. Remember that eating too much raw garlic leads to bad breath and gastric problems. Limit your intake to 15g a day.